Friday, September 4, 2009

Joy ... No Matter What!

Four Sundays ago I began a new sermon series in the book of Philippians.

It's been a wonderful journey so far.

I titled the first sermon: Joy And The Single Life. In this message I attempted to set up the context of the book and emphasis the Apostle Paul's repeated use of the words "all" and "my" in the opening verses. I wanted to communicate the fact that Paul was inclusive in his addressing "all the Saints with a particular emphasis on the fact that he ultimately had a single goal in mind.

Consequently, joy can be the reality of every beliver when we seek a single focus on The Lord Jesus Christ, His will, Word and way in our lives.

I titled the second sermon: Paul's Prayer for his People". The text here was Philippians 1:3-6. In this sermon I talked about being thankful, being thoughtful and closed on the fact that our God is thorough. A quick look at the passage reveals this simple but profound outline.

I titled the third sermon: Paul's Prayer for his People Part 2... Abounding Love. The text for this sermon was Philippians 1:7-11. In this message I tried to emphasize the matter of affection, association, abounding love and approving those things which are "excellent".

It's friday night now and Sunday morning will be here soon. I'm looking forward to it too. And what a great passage of Scripture Philippians 1:12-17 is. I don't know that I'll be able to cover all of those verses this week. I've made a commitment lately to focus on smaller pieces of Scripture. This is for two reasons. First, there's just so much in each verse that it's hard to get through too many verses at one time. Second, I'm trying to be more thorough in my preaching. This goal lends itself to considering smaller portions of Scripture at a time.

Well here's what I really want to say.

No matter what you or I are dealing with today. No matter what we may face tomorrow. And, in truth, no matter what we've had to deal with in our past, that still seeks to lay hold on us in our present... you can have joy no matter what.... if you trust The Jesus Christ as your LORD and Savior.

Shalom,
Sherman J. Fort

No comments: