Friday, July 17, 2009

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S GOD'S VISION AND NOT YOURS?

Gullible. That's what most of us are. Most of us are gullible, easily influenced, quickly intoxicated and even more easily manipulated by the world, the flesh and the devil.

On the contrary, it seems to me that we are not so easily influenced, impacted or engaged when it comes to The Lord Jesus Christ. While the Bible calls for us to be "filled with The Spirit"; and to be under the influence of our God as we read, study and live out His Word... too much of the time we (Christians) are not.

I recently returned from Dallas Texas and Salt Lake City Utah. I'm scheduled to preach this Sunday at the great Trinity Missionary Baptist Church in Tucson Arizona, Rev. Elwood McDowell, pastor.

Traveling the way I have lately and looking at what's going on in my own life (as I continue to work on the 2009 Pastor's Summit), and as I watch the activity of busyness going on at the church where I serve as Pastor, I can't help but wonder- just how much of what we do is of/from The Lord. And how much is us.

I think that too many times pastor's, preachers, ministry leaders and members of the laity go to conferences, hear sermons and listen to teaching- and then leave mimicking what we've seen and heard.

All too often we attend a conference, revival or class, listen to tremendous testimony which the great things our God is doing in the life of another person church or ministry, and then think that we've been called to do the same thing too.

Now, please know that I realize there is a clear difference between "admiring" someone and mimicking them. There is a difference between being moved and motivated by another person and flat out copying what another believer is doing. The Apostle Paul in the book of Ephesians, writes that we should "be imitators of God as dear children". He says that we should mimic our Messiah. But beyond Jesus, we're not told to "mimic" anyone else.

In addition to my being irritated and agitated by what I we see in the body of Christ as a kind of copy cat christian, I am equally disturbed by what appears to be a focus by many on self instead of The Savior.

Have you noticed how many ministries are named for people? Have you noticed how personality driven we seem to be?

Like certain groups in the book of Acts, we seem to relish the preachers and pastors we "sit under". I often hear Christian's speak with great pride when telling others who their pastor is. We say things like: "My pastor is Reverend 'Such in Such'". Or, "My Bishop is Prophet 'So in So'".

In contrast however, I for one rarely hear us brag and boast so quickly and easily about who our Savior is. Hmm?

Have you paid attention to how we plan, arrange and go about programming our events? It's clear that many of us are in competition with one another. Many of us hear about someone else having a conference, holding a seminar or having a revival- and we try to "best" them.

We plan our own similar event. Then plan way too many activities. Then invite everybody in the world to come (regardless of their denomination, religious beliefs, etc.); AND be on "program". When our event takes place we encourage everyone to sing, dance, shout, holler, give their neighbor a "high five", turn around, touch the ground and give the dog a bone.

But hey, here's a question: Where is The Lord in all of this? I'm talking to myself first, so don't trip. But, really, where is The Lord in all of this? Do we really have Him in view? Or, are we thinking about our name, our reputation and our status in the christian community?

May The Lord save us from ourselves. May we let go of our ego and really begin to plan, promote and push things will bring authentic glory to God!

Remember, God is not primarily interested in counting numbers. He's more interested in making the numbers in attendance count. Jesus Christ excused the multitudes on many occasions; and instead chose to invest in twelve men. Twelve, whom the Bible say when about turning the world "upside down".

One of my preaching heroes, Dr. A. Louis Patterson Jr., says that the Apostles "turned the world right side up, because it was already upside down".

Some things to look for when trying to determine whether or not your vision is from God are: 1) Ask yourself does your vision find a foundation in The Word of God. 2) Ask yourself is there a prior precedent for my vision in The Word of God. 3) Ask yourself does my vision bring all glory to God, or to me. 4) Ask yourself if unbelievers/non-Christians are brought to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as your vision is worked out. 5) Ask yourself if Christians are encouraged as your vision is worked out. 6) Ask yourself if you would do the work involved in your vision for free? Or, is your primary motivation money. 7) Ask yourself are you doing the work of the vision in your own strength, or is The Holy Spirit your power source. 8) Ask yourself if you experience joy while carrying out your vision.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Let's try not to wear the people of God out in the performance of our vision and then leave them weak and anemic, when that same audience is asked to minister to their biological families at home as well as their local church family.

Concerning everything I've mentioned... I am guilty.

At the church where I serve, I've made and continue to make moves that I pray will ensure that no one is overworked. Moves that will keep ministry leaders from being burned out. Moves that will not have anyone out at the church building every night of the week, and consequently never at home building that primary family.

Sure there are exceptions. By this, I mean there are persons who will intentionally schedule themselves to be involved in a variety of things that call for them to be out of their home too many nights each week. And, for these people there is often not much we can do. Except this, ... pray!

Let's pray one for another.

Shalom,
Sherman J. Fort

1 comment:

B. Powell said...

Amen Pastor Fort! This is a right on time word for me. I thank you for the plain teaching you bring Sunday after Sunday and in this message. It provides me with the guideposts I need as I seek to do God's work and to be used by Him. To God be the glory!