Monday, July 13, 2009

IT'S A NEW DAY ... AND I'M GLAD ABOUT IT- DELAYS AND ALL!

JESUS IS LORD... period.

It's just after 9:00am. This past weekend I was blessed to be invited to the great Unity Baptist Church in Salt Lake City Utah, Rev. Harold O. Fields Pastor. The occasion was Pastor and Sis. Fields' eleventh Pastor Appreciation Celebration.

Because I had just returned from Dallas Texas earlier the same week, and in truth, because I didn't want to have Unity Baptist Church incur any unnecessary hotel costs where I'm concerned- and because I really am not all that crazy about being away from home for too long, I made my flight arrangements so that I would leave Saturday morning and return Sunday evening.

Well both services on Sunday at Unity were a blessing! The music ministry at Unity were great, the people were warm and Rev. O. C. Fields, the son of Pastor and Sis. Fields was encouraging during the Sunday morning sermon.

The afternoon program was phenomenal. It appears to me that the Christian clergy in Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas have a great fraternity. I mean pastors came out from various denominations and areas in support of this great celebration. The Lord blessed me to preach a sermon that I pray was helpful, encouraging and of course Bible-centered.

Because I really don't like missing flights, especially flights home, I left the pulpit right after I finished preaching (having shared my intent with the church family and asked for forgiveness before I preached); went to Pastor Fields' office, changed my shirt and headed off to the airport, driven by a new friend and brother, the god-loving and gifted, Pastor France Davis.

It was raining when we left the church, but that in now way compared with the rain of circumstances I encountered once I got to the airport. I'd already printed my boarding pass before I left the hotel and had one bag to check when I arrived at the airport.

After approaching the kiosk for automatic check in at the airport, I was told by an employee of the airline that the flight was delayed. Now watch this... it was delayed almost three and one half hours. Instead of departing at the scheduled time of 8:15pm, the flight was now scheduled to depart at 11:40pm.

Ultimately the flight did not leave Salt Lake City Utah until approximately 12:15am. Consequently I did not get home to my wife and family until around 2:20am. Then of course, because I'm a brother who often has a difficult time going to sleep, I didn't get to sleep until just after 3:00am.

Having said all that, let me tell you that God is still better than good! Initially I was pretty upset about the delays in the flight I was scheduled to take. And, when I was told that the reasons for the delay included "operational" problems and "weather" issues- I shared with the airline employee that I'd rather get to my destination delayed and in one piece, rather than on time an all broken up.

So then, one lesson in the delay might be akin to that old adage: "Better late, than not all".

However, once I finally boarded the flight back home to Phoenix the pilot came on the intercom prior to our departure and shared that the real reason for the delay was that forty wheel-chair bound military veterans got on the flight in Chicago. And because of their wheel chairs (both electric and manual); each person needed approximately five minutes to board and then another five minutes or so to de=plane after they arrived at their destination.

The pilot went on to say that these military veterans were going to a celebration of appreciation honoring their service to our country. Most everyone on board the plane began to clap at hearing the reason for the delay. The pilot went on to thank his crew, apologize for the delay and state that his goal was to get us to our destination both safely and as quickly as possible.

It's now Monday morning. I'm up after about four hours sleep. I'm hoping to fall asleep in a few hours and rest for an additional two hours or so... I need it. But I'm moved when I think of the events last night. And I believe one of the lessons in it may be this... It's not about me.

Other things were at work, behind the scenes that I had no knowledge of. I'm reminded of Blackaby's words in his now classic discipleship workbook titled: Experiencing God. He communicates the fact that God is at work behind the scenes.

Even when I'm looking, I don't see it all. But our God has an eye that never slumbers or sleeps. He knew what was going on the whole time. And He brought me back home to Phoenix safe and sound. I peeked in on my oldest daughter sleep in her room, I saw my youngest daughter asleep in the bed, and my wife met me at the door when I arrived.

It's all good ... because it's all about God.

Shalom,
Sherman J. Fort

No comments: