Monday, August 2, 2010

Preaching In Tucson Arizona - Calling A Pastor

On Sunday, August 22, 2010 I was blessed with the wonderful opportunity to preach at Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Tucson Arizona. I've been honored to preach at this a number of times over the past several years. The congregation is sincere and the people are special.

The church does not have a pastor right now. In fact, November 2009 marked the completion of their first year without a pastor. For those of you who are believers in Jesus Christ please pray with and for the Mount Calvary B.C. family that they will soon have the pastor that GOD has chosen for them.

That said, I am convinced that many of our churches, baptist church in particular do not use a Biblical model in "calling" a pastor. I've been brooding over this for some now. Most recently I've had several conversations with my pastor and another preacher friend who I respect about the matter.

We seem to forget that the church is a THEOcracy. Not a democracy. That is to say the church is GOD-driven and GOD governed. I fear that sometime we mess up what God has planned by entering into a democratic, secular driven process to call a pastor.

We certainly will do well with focusing more on prayer and seeking God's direction where this matter is concerned.

Mount Calvary B.C., in Tucson Arizona is a church that has nothing but an "Up" side as far as I can tell. I am praying with and for them that The GOD's will is done there. I commend them on having several pastors to come and declare The Word of God to them. I was honored to be in that number this time around.

Safe in CHRIST,
Sherman J. Fort

2 comments:

Concerned Brother said...

I agree brother. I have consulted with a few church search committees
and I always give them the same advice, study the pastoral letters! We look for subjective feelings or a "sense for the move of God" instead of going to his word and systematically working through the text. He tells us clearly what the man of God should be. Not that this is the case in Tucson, I am just venting a little.

Concerned Brother said...

You said "We seem to forget that the church is a THEOcracy. Not a democracy. That is to say the church is GOD-driven and GOD governed. I fear that sometime we mess up what God has planned by entering into a democratic, secular driven process to call a pastor" Could you clearify this a little?